Fireworks



This music will always have a special meaning for me.

My very first trip to America in the mid-eighties was a PanAm flight from London Heathrow to San Francisco. I made this, my first intercontinental trip, all by myself, but I had been perfectly briefed by a very knowledgeable secretary and was expected in San Franciso by a colleague who did his very best to give me a brief introduction to American business customs, and, over the weekend, showed me some of the sights.

On the flight over, which I thoroughly enjoyed,  I heard this piece maybe five to eight times. I was full of expectations and excitement, looking forward to finally set foot in what I considered to be the promised land, the land of unlimited possibilities, and I was not deceived.

On the trip back I enjoyed the same music and felt deep satisfaction because I had had the privilege visit beautiful San Francisco.

One year later : same trip, same airline, and again : Music for the Royal Fireworks.

Since then, and up to  my retirement, I have been privileged to visit the USA time and again. My view about the country has changed quite drastically, but the memories remain.

I haven't set foot in the US for fourteen years now and I probably never will go there again, but, from time to time, I still feel attracted to the dream I had about the country and its people.

No comments: