January 31 1885


My maternal grandmother Maria Antonia De Vidts was born in Pamel on January 31 1885 ; she was the second of five children of Felix (Pamel 1853 - 1940) and Blondina Muylaert (Denderhoutem 1849 - Pamel 1942).

On July 3 1912 she married Joannes Franciscus Neukermans (Okegem 1886 - 1961). My file states the marriage took place in Okegem. I shall have to recheck that ; normally the marriage takes place in the woman's parish.

My mother Margaretha Felicitas Neukermans (Okegem 1914 - Gent 2000) was the second - but the eldest surviving - of their five children. And I was the oldest grandchild of Marie en Cis.

My grandmother died, way too soon, on September 25 1949 in Okegem. She was the first of my grandparents to pass away.

I have written a number of posts about her previously. They still are available. I see no need to repeat them here. Suffice it to say that I adored her, and she adored me. Her premature death was the first pitch black period in my young life.

No comments: