Lest we forget

On Friday May 10 1940 the German hordes invaded our country. The beginning of more than four years of pain, hunger, misery, treason and death. But also of small pockets of heroism.

I heard lots of stories about the war and my very own first conscious memories date back to the end of that awful, terrible period.

My father was a member of the armed resistance. I will never accept the present almost fashionable trend - instaured by children and grandchildren of the collaborators and traitors of that period - to rewrite history to their "advantage".  Some of these traitors may have had pure motives ; some were outright stupid. But I dare write that a significant part of them became outright criminals. And we have seen what they were capable of.

Some of their children and grandchildren  still make a big show of the "injustices" their parents suffered after the war. They do not want justice, they want revenge. Let them never forget that, had they not collaborated with the Nazi scum, noting would have happened to them. Theyr parents betrayed their country ; they were wrong, terribly wrong, not the resistance.

But in present day Flanders, it has become "de bon ton" to try to put the stigma on the resistance - the collaborators having been visionaries who were right too soon. I tremble when I see those dangerous nincompoops at work. And I tremble when I see a significant part of the population more or less sympathising with their lies.

God forbid. In that Flanders I do not want to live !

No comments: