Debt

I have to write it down at least once : Germany thinks it should not pay for the financial excesses committed by the weaker euro countries. That is a just and honorable claim. But only if one forgets recent history.

Germany started the second world war. What was the cost of that bloody catastrophy for Europe ? I think that if Germany paid off the full debt of the  PIIGS countries, that still wouldn't  offer equitable compensation. That of course is an utterly stupid, totally impossible, and even indesirable, scenario.

I expect from Germany :  less arrogance, a smite of understanding for the mistakes of others, and some real European solidarity. But I know I am dreaming.

And yes, I deeply mistrust Germany ; in my worst moments, the word "hate" springs to mind. That may be stupid, but that is my solemn right isn't it ?

No comments: