Yes we can !

Remember the hagiographies of Barack Obama which flooded the European media two years ago ?

Obama was the man of change and of "yes we can". That soon  turned into yes we can, but not now, not immediately. The man is now facing mid-term elections and the outlook is bleak indeed.

I have no sympathy for his enemies - opponents is not strong enough a word (I cannot believe all the malicious drivel I read in the American media) -  but Obama clearly is not the man who will bring about much needed fundamental change in American society.

I am losing my life-long sympathy for Americans and most things American and my understanding of American society as a whole has almost disappeared. In my worst moments, I think that the USA will self-destruct. And the days of American world leadership and hegomony are over.

2 comments:

Pablo Carpintero said...

An interesting read in that context :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/myriam-miedzian/capitalism-uber-alles-how_1_b_775495.html.

Pablo Carpintero said...

Ik heb altijd gedacht en gevreesd dat Obama niet veel meer was dan goedverpakte hete lucht, en ik krijg nog gelijk ook.

Maar zijn tegenstanders zijn niets dan voorverpakte haat. Wat is het ergste ?