November 14 1922

On that day, the BBC began radio services in the UK. That is only 86 years, or about three generations ago. Radio ... that is really old hogwash ; it feels like it has always been there.

I wrote it before : over the last hundred or so years, the world has changed more than in the earlier millennia since mankind appeared on this blue planet. That alone helps to indicate that present growth rates are untenable. A short time peak in a very long history.

Of course, I am a rather pessimistic contrarian. Optimists will tell you that one hundred years ago no one could have imagined what was to happen in that period. And that future developments will be of such nature and amplitude that we cannot possibly imagine what they will be.

I don't know who will be proven right. All I know for sure is that 100 years from now I shall not be blogging anymore !

No comments: